Thursday, January 21, 2016

Time for a Little Home Decor

Hello and welcome. I hope you are trying to stay warm. It is really cold here in Kentucky today and has been most of the week. We are expecting snow tomorrow so I am planning a weekend of crafting and catching up with some scrapbooking.  Today I am sharing some home decor projects with you.  I have used both my Cricut Explore and my Silhouette Cameo for these projects.  I had a couple things pinned on Pinterest that I was interested in making and when my husband said he was going to Lowe's I sent him with a list.  This first project is for a friend of mine who wanted this for her aunt.  It is a large cutting board that has a design that was shared with me and etched.  I have never got to play with the air eraser we use because my husband really enjoys doing it and this way he gets all messy lol.  I have done the smaller ones, but this was the first time I did one on a larger scale.  I thought it would be easier, but was harder to line and calculate the size.  I am very pleased with how it turned out.
Going up my stairway was a dead space that I just couldn't find the right pictures or decorations for and believe me I tried so many.  Before Christmas we were at Michaels and found this large frame that had the right amount of slots for family pictures on sale for 70% off.  We got it so cheap, we had to grab it because it was exactly what we wanted.  We decided that we wanted a quote to go with it.  I used the Silhouette Cameo and a couple files from the Silhouette Store.  I adjusted the bottom on by removing some parts of it.  We are really pleased with how it turned out. 

For this next project, I used my Cricut Explore and a font I got off the site www.dafont.com  You could use any font that would fit your decor.  This is actually a left over piece of wood from the next piece you will see.  This is a 1 x 6 inch piece of pine and it is 30 inches long.  I like working with pine because it is such a good wood, but does cost more.  I first gave the board a coat of Valspar Antique White that I got for .50 at Lowes.  When it dried, I cut my letters from vinyl and attached to the wood.  I then gave it a coat of Waverly chalk paint in the color ink.  Since I do not have any place close to buy things, I found this at Walmart.  I let the paint dry and then carefully peeled my vinyl letters off and gave it a little sanding to make it look distressed and then gave it a coat of the Waverly wax.  I am pretty pleased with how it looks and put it on the mantle for now.
The next piece I made did not have any machines to cut anything.  I saw this wonderful wood box on Pinterest and decided I wanted one for my dining room table and that it would be great to change out for the holidays.  This is made of 1 x 4 pine cut 31.5 inches, you need 2 pieces for the sides, 2 pieces cut 5.5 inches and one piece of 1 x 6 pine cut 30 inches.  I glued them together with gorilla glue and took a nail gun to secure them.  I painted them with the Waverly Chalk paint and distress it and then added the wax.  I found some beads I wanted, but have not got the candles yet and will do that on my next trip out.  Hope I can inspire you to try some home projects of your own and be sure to let me know where I can take a look.  Till next week, happy crafting and stay warm!!!!

3 comments:

We appreciate your comments, thank you so much! Please include your email so if you win our challenge it will be easy to get in touch with you and we might ask you to be a guest designer for us too!!!